Our Client Legend Organic Farms Inc. (based out of BC, 9100 Van Horne Way, Richmond BC, V6X 1W3) is a farming operation, growing organic crops for a family run company which has grown to be North America’s largest certified organic food producer. The farm is 4,000 acres, located near Kamsack, SK (east/central Sk) and produces small grains and oilseeds. This is a full-time position and will report to the Organic Program Manager based in British Columbia.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
The organic Farm Manager will oversee and implement all farming operations from crop planning, fieldwork, and harvest. Familiarity and experience with all aspects of organic farming at this scale is a must.
- Having an understanding and deep commitment to organic agronomic and regenerative principles:
o Maintain and build appropriate fertility.
o Control and manage weed populations.
o Control and manage insect and disease issues.
- Supplement soil fertility and microbiology through appropriate amendments, crop rotations and green manures, in a cost-effective way.
- Successfully attain maximum crop yields and improve crop quality over time.
- Run and maintain all equipment.
- Implement advanced environmental protection including establishment of hedgerows, wildlife and pollinator habitat.
- Effective and fiscally responsible management of farm equipment, buildings and storage inventory.
- Facilitate sale and delivery of crops including arranging contracts, getting best price and moving crops to parent company whenever directed.
- Manage staff/farm labour.
- Reporting to Legend Organic Farms’ head office.
- Maintain health and safety requirements.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Minimum 5-years experience farming organic small grains and oilseeds.
- Demonstrable commitment to ongoing learning and progressive practices in organic and regenerative farming.
- Experience and ability to obtain and retain organic certification, and crop insurance.
- Business management skills and experience, managing budgets, expenditures and income.
- Ability to produce clear and concise written reports on farm operations, harvest yields and sales. Comfortable working in Word and Excel.
- Self motivation and proven ability to manage staff in an effective and motivating manner.
- Mechanical ability and aptitude for equipment operation and maintenance
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Numerical aptitude.
- Willingness to be outside in all weathers and patience to undertake all sorts of practical, sometimes repetitive jobs.
- Full driving licence.
- Genuine commitment to organic farming.
This position offers a competitive salary of $90,000-$110,000 based on experience and relevant education as well as bonus opportunities based on performance and crop yields. A house for a family will also be provided as part of the compensation package.
To apply or inquire further details, contact Joanne Oliver directly at Essence Recruitment.
306.652.5209 or email@example.com or www.essencerecruitment.ca