The Canadian Light Source Inc. (CLSI) is Canada’s national center for synchrotron research, located on the University of Saskatchewan campus in Saskatoon. Launched in 1999 and officially opened in 2004, the synchrotron is one of the largest science projects in Canadian history and was the product of an unprecedented collaboration of federal, provincial and municipal governments and agencies, universities from across the country and industry. CLSI produces very bright light, millions of times brighter than sunlight, to explore the nature and structure of molecules, and serves national and international users from academia, industry, and government institutions. The CLS is a world-class, state-of-the-art facility that is advancing Canadian science, enhancing the competitiveness of Canadian industry and contributing to the quality of life of people around the world. For more information, go to www.lightsource.ca
Position Summary: Reporting to the CFO, you will oversee the day-to-day corporate accounting operations and mentor staff in the teams encompassing supply & contracts, budgets & planning, and quality management to meet the scientific and business needs of Canadian Light Source Inc. You will build relationships with our internal customers to enhance current, and implement new systems, processes, policies and procedures.
This is a great fit for someone who is a strategic thinker who champions proactive strategies to drive organizational impact. They will be a collaborative team leader, focusing on internal customer relationships with a proven record of accomplishment as an effective leader. The incumbent will have demonstrated success implementing innovative and practical business processes and systems.
- Oversees all aspects of corporate accounting and financial management including the systems required for management thereof.
- Oversees all aspects of procurement and contract management for the facility, including the systems required for management thereof, re-order points and supplier relations.
- Oversees corporate reporting requirements and protocols which include appropriate authorities and approvals, internal reporting, budgeting and forecasting, capital budgeting and accounting to maintain relations and responsibilities to funding partners and other stakeholders.
- Collaborates with CLS departments to plan resource allocations and use.
- Develops and maintains a finance structure that incorporates a systems approach in the delivery of services that support facility operations and strategic direction.
- Ensures regulatory requirements related to income taxes, scientific research and experimental development tax credit programs; GST, PST and other regulatory requirements are met.
- Reviews existing programs and policies, determines their effectiveness and identifies existing needs and gaps to then develop a plan to meet the needs and gaps.
- Identifies and pursues opportunities for adding value in the provision of corporate services and recommends strategic approaches, collaborating with CLS departments to plan resource allocations and use.
- Manages human resources activities of their direct reports, including recruitment and selection, supervision, scheduling, professional development, and performance management according to CLS policies, guidelines and the Collective Agreement as applicable.
- Prepares and plans the departments operating and capital budget, forecasts needs of the department and ensures proper utilization of financial resources.
Education and Experience:
Post-Secondary degree or certificate with a CPA/CA designation.
5 plus years of technical experience in a public practice.
Experience in workflow process redesign or business process improvement
Experience applying change management in a multi-stakeholder environment.
Experience implementing and improving enterprise-wide systems
Skills and Competencies:
Exceptional communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships throughout the organization are a must, as will the need to engender trust and credibility through a strong customer focus
Ability to articulate financial issues to broad and diverse audiences
Flexible, able to adapt to changing situations
A team oriented people leader
Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
A strong solutions orientation and a focus on continuous improvement to ensure the efficient use of resources and the effective use of technology
Strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage teams and projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines
If you enjoy being a part of an innovative culture that is unique to our community this may be a great fit for you! Along with a compensation package that includes benefits and a defined contribution pension plan, the CLS offers a work life balance in a flexible working environment.
Apply directly to Tracy Arno at email@example.com or 306.290.5646/306.652.5209