Essence Recruitment is currently seeking a Senior Product Development Specialist for their Saskatoon based client, Bioriginal Food & Science Corp, a global leader in delivering complete nutritional solutions to the Food and Nutraceutical industries. With over 20 years of global expertise, Bioriginal has carved out a niche by scientifically combining nutritional ingredients from all over the world, directly from the source, to create unique and efficacious solutions. Bioriginal is passionate about nutritional ingredients and the health benefits they provide, discovering, anticipating trends and pioneering within the Food and Nutraceutical industries since 1993. Bioriginal has developed proprietary methods and systems to provide customized turnkey solutions for our customers that help them compete and win in a highly competitive space. Bioriginal is headquartered in Saskatoon, Canada with facilities in Europe and throughout the USA.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Work effectively with cross functional teams to bring products from concept to market.
- Develop new products containing various ingredients including proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, stabilizers, antioxidants, flavor systems, fiber and botanical ingredients.
- Work directly with co-packers to establish manufacturing protocols, specifications and processing technologies as well as providing technical support.
- Perform specification and literature review for ingredient dosage, interactions, safety and efficacy, as well as claim substantiation.
- Working with multiple stakeholders, manage all phases of new product development including confirming new product prototype design, while setting and meeting time lines for project completion.
- Customize and create new products according to customer requests.
- Monitor development process and ensure compliance to schedule and timeframe.
- Coordinate with global teams to formulate and bring to market a variety of nutritional products.
- Create product specifications, characteristics and substantiated claims.
- Supervise product scale-ups, ensuring that manufacturing processes & specifications are followed.
- Provide technical guidance and expertise in production and packaging commercialization.
- Document process and recommend improvements to maintain the highest quality product.
- Conduct unscheduled, on-the-spot inspections of products to ensure product standards are upheld.
- Ability and proven track record of troubleshooting formulation challenges in existing and new products.
- Support vendor sourcing and provide recommendations.
- Maintain effective professional relationships with vendors and agents.
- Provide appropriate reports and assist in technical production to team.
- BS or MS in Food Engineering, Food Science, Food Technology or related degree required.
- Must have a proven track record in project management, commercial product launches and product development with co-packers.
- Demonstrated experience with food chemistry, botanicals, emulsion systems, flavor systems and ingredient interactions as it relates to manufacturing of stable liquid and powder products for maximum shelf life.
- Prior participation on project teams with previous record of successful project management, market launch and technical report writing is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Strategic thinker and able to forecast how much time each stage of the production cycle will take, position their product to take advantage of market cycles, and formulate strategies to control costs and manage risks along the way.
- Solid analytical skills and knows how to use data to crunch numbers and create solutions for business strategy, product development and pricing outlook.
- Able to meet deadlines with high attention to detail.
- Creative and collaborative.
- Multitasker with good organizational, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Team player as well as being able to work independently.
If you are interested in this opportunity, we invite you to contact Essence Recruitment directly. Contact Joanne Oliver directly at: 306.652.5233/ firstname.lastname@example.org / www.essencerecruitment.ca